Monday, August 8, 2011

Finish line

An easy to wrap up the trip to the coast. I slept in until 8am and was out he door by 9 from San bernardino. Its a straight shot west and all urban, so I only carried 2 water bottles and just stopped at gas stations to refill. Traffic wasn't so bad in the morning, and I made stops just to keep my legs fresh and to pace for a 6pm finish.

Once I got to downtown LA, the cool ocean breeze was comin in and made the riding easier. I rode sunset blvd all the way fromdowntown to the coast, the traffic there gets pretty heavy and drivers fly around the corners. I missed my turn for Santa Monica blvd so I stayed wig sunset to keep my bearings and not have to backtrack, another biker helped steer me the right way. The entire route was flat until you get up in the hills, so that was an unexpected obstacle to face late in he day.

My friends Doug and leslie were set to meet me at the sign for he pier, but I came in on the pacific coast highway and them under the pier on the beach trail, but friends Brett, Adam, and Michael met me and had diner and drinks over at the promenade.

I great and relaxin day to end the trip, and i can wait to take a real lazy vacation. I'm stayin in Santa Monica for the day and headin to the beach. Goon to take the train back to Michigan in a week or so, and hoping to meet fee
Lends I LA this week. Going to rest my legs for a week and them get ready for the next 100 mile run up in Canada in September.

Thanks for following and I hope I can make another trip someday, but it may take a while to get that urge back.

-Alan

3 comments:

  1. Sweet you made it! Now plan for a more leisurely adventure floating down the Mississippi River....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is totally and completely flippin awesome. I'm not saying this lightly, You are THE man. Let us know when you are back in Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! You are amazing! Pick up a copy of the Sunday NYT, flip to the Travel section and read the story about the reporter riding across the country ... 500 miles into it and he can barely eech out 60 miles a day. You put him to shame! Glad I met you under the Arch! Have fun planning your next adventure .... I'm sure its right around the corner.

    ReplyDelete