Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Day 2: 3 states

A great day to leave michigan, the rain really helped keep the temp down, but the sun was shining bright. I was on 55 mph highways most of the day. I took the Red Arrow Hwy out of Kalamazoo this morning after a late 9:00 start. most of the way was shaded by trees passing by farms and then indiana dunes park. a really diverse day to see farms around Kalamazoo, beaches along the Michigan coast, factories in Gary and finally riding the lakeshore trail into downtown Chicago. Special thanks to my cousin sarah for helping me when I got turned around with 10 miles to go. It's tough navigating a city when your too low to see the skyline and the sun is hiding. I lost about an hour from that mixup, and getting so close is so demoralizing, like getting all the way home and forgetting the key. I managed to eat a lot more today and took more frequent breaks, from now on I'll make myself eat something every 90 minutes. Who knew 2 packs of combos and Gatorade had 700 calories, the new breakfast of champions. Off to bed and ready to take off from the route 66 eastern terminus at 8:00. Gooooodnight

No comments:

Post a Comment