Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Day 8 short day in the heat

Sorry for no update last night, I had the whole thing written and lost it when inlost the wifi connection. I revised my route for the day, it was the hottest day yet and the first day I finally gave in. I started up in carthage, mo and made it thru the short section thru Kansas, then rode into vinita, ok.

I got a late start after the long Monday. Out the door at 11am and the heat was high. After the water shortage the day before, I made sure to stop and fill up at each station. It turns out there were tons of stations to take care of me! Its a very direct and smooth road into Oklahoma. It's nice to be able to follow the curves of the road between towns, rather than watching for road signs and turns.

I only made it about an hour for each section on the bike, I was constantly heading inside and slowin the pace. By 5pm I stopped at an subway hoping it would be cool by the time I left, and I ended up stayin until 8pm.

The towns in Oklahoma really style the town for route 66 cruisers. I'm heading into Tulsa later today and worked out a deal with the motel to stay until 5pm so I don't have all the heat. Gonna sleep in and have a short 60 mile ride to Tulsa to meet another couchsurfing friend. If you'd like to talk today's a good day for a call.

No comments:

Post a Comment