Saturday, July 23, 2011

Worst day yet

Still hot, still windy, still hilly, still Oklahoma

Worst day yet with a relentless wind coming from the south. Heading west it comes from the left and tosses you around the road, which is so rough from very stony gravel pavement. Several sections them veer Doug and the wind hits you head on, slowing my bike down to single digits. It seems like the hottest day yet, I think it's really radiating off the road, and not much shade in sight. I headed into the hotel early today, and trying to get an early sleep. Only made it about 60 miles to sayre.

I met some fellow road warriors in a broken down RV, Sam and deb are headed back to Los Angeles from Florida. They don't have money to fix their rig, so they go in 5 mile intevals until the engine gets too hot. So all day we were leapfrogging each on the frontage road and would wave and talk at each passing. I passed them some gas money to help them out and they give me water and soda thru the long stretches between towns. I'm sure I'll see more of them tomorrow.

New plan is to get earlier starts and always atop by 2pm to stay out ofthe frustrating heat. I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels once the sun is right on top of you. Worst day yet, hopefully the mornings will be better

1 comment:

  1. hang in there buddy. been thinking of you during this aweful heat wave, supposed to cool off next week. sounds like you are meeting some interesting folks. be safe.
    John and Cathy

    ReplyDelete