Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Day 7 longest day to joplin

ughhhhhhhh.   I took the day of sunday to rest up for the monday,  which was planned for the longest day of the trip- 180 miles from Rolla to Joplin.   I was out in the dark early at 4:30am and zipped thru the first 10 miles in the dark.  It really makes you notice the heat when your there to see the temperature rise all the way to its peak.   I took my usual breaks,  butr shortened them to keep me on the bike and keep moving forward.   Also,  not many sights to see on this portion of the ride.  Missouri has really been the same all 300 miles across. 

I had my worst day of the ride through the late afternoon,  I had the ride broken into three checkpoints- Lebonan~50 miles, Springfield~110 miles, Joplin~180 miles.   I made the first 2 no problem since the towns along the highway were all set with gas stations to stop and cool off at.

The problem hit on the last section trying to go through to Joplin.   My directions had me going down Hwy 96 and passed through about 6 towns over 40 miles to Joplin.  I didn't realize it was back in the farms however.   There were no stores set up along the way,  and as it was getting closer to sunset, I was getting worried that I might find them closed by the time I got there.  Leaving Springfield I was fully stocked, and I always carry a gallong of water on me.   I had a hunch to buy an extra gatorade and carry it but opted not to.  3 hours later I was out in the middle of nowhere, wondering where my next fillup would come.  Luckily,  a local bar was closed but took me in.  Donna saved my life and offered a ride to the next major town, Carthidge.  I told her with my fresh water I could make it and would just need my headlight to get thru the dark.   So here I am in the Carthidge hotel,  about 12 miles short of Joplin.

I'm a little depressed after how the day ended,  and after 15 hours on the bike today.  I may be looking to alter the course if more sections like this are ahead of me.  But I'll wait til I'm in my right mind before I make those calls.   Gonna head through Kansas and Oklahoma today down to a couchsurfing friend in Tulsa.

Still going,....

3 comments:

  1. Hey Alan! All of us in Freaky Deaky Land are thinking of you! Be safe! We want you back in one piece :)
    - Mary B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep your head up Alan!! I'll be with you for the New Mexico desert sun on Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pics are fantastic, and thanks for adding the detail to the writing. We're thinking of you every day.

    ReplyDelete