Sunday, July 31, 2011

Uphill

So Saturday was my 2nd straight long day. I had about 130 miles to go, heading higher and higher up to gallup, NM. The first stretch of hills that didn't have a descend on the other side. With my souped-up new tires I had new confidence riding along the highway shoulder, until hitting a god awful shoulder from he'll that stretched 3 miles just as the sun was setting. Just after the rumble strips along the road, the shoulder would drop down about 3 inches and was full of loose stones and gravel , I kept with it for a half mile thinking it would pass. Finally I gave up and walked the bike to the next off ramp 2 miles away. That was so demoralizing when I though I only had about am hour to go to Gallup, and 45 min later I had only gained 2 miles. Throw in all the scratches from bumping my pedals and it was a rough evening.

I met Paul thru couchsurfing and he picked me up in Gallup and had a good dinner. He's a bike racer and we shared stories over some white Russians and then called it a night.

This will be my latest start for any day of the trip, but I definitely nSeder the rest after two rough days. The road to Holbrook, arizona should be flat, although I am up at 6500 feet and I get out of breath easier. Only 20 miles to go to the border

No comments:

Post a Comment