Sunday, July 17, 2011

Day 6 heatwave

A long day heading out of st louis. I fAced heavy traffic for the first 30 miles heading out of town. I stayed downtown, but traffic was very light at 9am, by 11am it was a different story. The heat and sun really turned up as I left town and finally got out on the highways. The rolling hills started after crossing the Mississippi so this was my first full day of ups and downs. I took my first leap of faith today when I came to a portion of 66 that I couldn't tell to go straight or veer right, I took the right and was greeted ny a long shaded downhill for about a halfmile. It was great to head down, but if I took the wrong path I knew I'd be coming right back up. The sun was really draining me until the clours came out around 5pm. Around 2pm I asked a gas station to sit in their walk-in freezer for a bit but was turned down. I ended up taking a nap under a tree behind the shop.
It was a fairly easy road the majority of the day, and I'm definitely back in farm and country towns for he next few days. I passed by all he towns water towers and county fairs as I passed thru at dusk. I had about an hour ride in he dark and have a perfect setup with my headlight strapped up on my handlebars. I'm hanging out in the hotel today and resting to get on a new schedule tomorrow, takIng off at 4am to take advantage of cooler temps. A boring day watching espn's 30 for 30 marathon and the world cup. Back on the horse early tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Alan! Great narrative!! We are all worrying about you traveling in this heatwave, so it's good to read your blog and know that you are moving right along! Keep hydrated....and Go, Alan, GO!

    ReplyDelete