Saturday, July 30, 2011

Friday in Albuquerque

I as dead tired last night. A long ride into Albuquerque or about 115 miles, about 80 of that was on the shoulder of I-40. While it's always a clear line to ride and has much more gradual hills and descents, there's so much debris hidden on the pavement. I've been on the highway about 150 miles so far this trip, and it accounts for all 3 of my flat tires. So today about 40 miles outside Albuquerque I blew the last tube I had on me, so the last 2 hours I had to patch an older tube and keep checking the pressure on it. A little frustrating to do, but I knew a bike shop downtown that would help me out. My friend Alex from Amarillo recommended the Bike Coop which is right on 66. So an easy stop for me and theg stayed late ona Friday to help me on my way. New slimed tubes that will help resist the small staples and needles that seem to cover the highway shoulder. Also a new chain and thicker set of tires.

Yesterday was also an early rain that luckily was only heavy for about 20 minutes. It doesn't affect my riding much, but you hate to be so close to cars that don't have full visibility.

Now I'm stuck in my motel at 7am and waiting for the manager to arrive to see if a fax came in for me. Inthe meantime I can grab breakfast and do some more gear organiZation. Ca long 135 mile day to Gallup, and it might go into the dark tonight. Carter this though, the mile drops down to 60-90 miles a day. Hoping to get another off day once I'm in flagstaff. The elevation doesn't seem so intimidating anymore. Flagstaff sits at 7700 ft, cbut I've already rode to 6400 so it should be just a little more ways up. And no problems with the acclimating, conly problem so far is my tires and my ever-changing sleep schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment