Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Tucumcri tonite

Long, but comfortable day to tucumcari, NM yesterday. Finally made it to my 8th state and into mountain time. I took off from Amarillo at 630, and had an easy time getting out of town and back on the I-40 frontage road. I made it to the cadillac ranch with the sun shining and got some pics. The whole road to tucumcari was 120 miles with major towns every 40 miles. I've been carrying 1.5 gallons of fluid with me now that it's thinned out and every gas staton I ask where the next fillup comes. Truck stops have been great with so many travelers coming thru, and everyone has advice for the road. I grabbed lunch at he Halfway Cafe when it was dead at 12:30. I asked to take a nap and the waitress didn't mind so I fell asleep on my arms at the table. No idea how long I was out, but I woke up to 10 people around and got really embarassed. I was trying to rest up for the next 40 mile section of open range, but then was pleasantly surprised to find the new Mexico welcome center, with AC and free coffee. A great oasis to welcome me to the desert. I saw the first of the mountain plateaus today and enjoying an offday at the doormat to he mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment