Monday, July 25, 2011

tune-up in amarillo

Made it to Amarillo after some long miles circling the city.  Staying with couchsurfing friend Alex and his converted dentist office/home/bike co-op.  A great chance to get some advice and have great burger for dinner.

I had a easy morning starting at 4am and putting in good miles through the open ranges.  By daylight I was finally getting to a town with a gas station and a chance to grab breakfast (gatorade and froot loops).  The temp rose later on but I wasn't in much of a hurry.  Dark rain clouds came in,  and wind started blowing.   The wind was blowing east,  but the clouds kept getting closer and soon it started raining,  first time since day 2 in chicago.  The wind also made some dust storms out in the open field,  so I took a break at a pavilion at an Amarillo high school until it blew over,  just another element I've had to face during this trip.

Alex works as a bike mechanic and was able to fine tune my bike and fix up some of my home remedies (no more duct tape!!).   All set to make the long day to Tucumcari, NM tomorrow.  It'll be a long day through more open terrain,  but I won't be in much rush with and off-day scheduled for Wednesday.   Goooooodnight

No comments:

Post a Comment